Thursday, May 14, 2009

 Friday when the kids and I woke up it started to rain heavily. I  didn't think much about it since it had been raining for the nth day in a row. Mom woke up and realizing I had barely lived through another sleepless night, told me to go back to bed and she would watch the kids. I had just laid down when I heard the sirens roar, and Mom yelling through the house telling all of us to get into the bathroom. I grabbed Isaac and Elisabeth and did just what we were told. Isaac, Elisabeth, and I, sat on Pillows in the bathtub. Mom, Dad and LIsa came into the bathroom as well, but thankfully didn't try to squeeze in with us. The sirens were loud but the wind was louder. 
I grew up with Tornado warnings all the time but never do I remember being so scared and so worried about my safety and the safety of my family as I was that morning. After the sirens went off we lingered anxiously around the house watching out the windows at the unbelievable scene in front of us. The winds were blowing about 80 miles an hour and the trees all looked like they were made of rubber.  The electricity had already been out for awhile by then but I still had my video camera in hand. I captured our trampoline spinning through the air like it was a weightless frisbee. The winds were scary and I often rushed us back into the bathroom away from windows that could possibly  blow out for all we knew. 
Thankfully after about an hour or so the winds calmed and we were able to survey the damage. Many trees around my parents property had been uprooted, including the 30 foot pine tree that stood in front yard is now leaning at a 40 degree angle. The other trees that were uprooted are not little ones either, they are all "Big Trees". When the sun came out we went for a drive in the van to see the rest of the town of Willard. We saw many more trees broken or uprooted and, about a dozen trampolines wrecked, and a couple houses with smashed roofs where trees had fallen on them.
  To sum up this story... with lots of prayer we are all safe and sound. We didn't get electricity for a couple of days but we were safe and that is really all that mattered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment