Thursday, April 22, 2010

Lessons I Learned

I recently made this cake for a best friend for her birthday. I wanted to make it very special and in a way that I thought fit her personality. This was my second fondant cake and I spent many moments researching exactly how I would make it.I learned many lessons in the process...
1. I usually use a more dense cake recipe, however I opted for the more moist version,the cake was deliciously moist but too moist to hold well under the weight of the fondant and the roses.
2. You can learn anything on You Tube which is where I learned how to make the sugar gum paste roses. The roses were beautiful but too heavy for my too moist cake.
3. A tyred cake needs a good support system so that it does not collapse into itself, I thought I had a good one but I was wrong again. Next time I will be sure to build my support better.
4. Even though I was not satisfied with the finished project Jenn seemed to love it, which was my ultimate goal.
Happy Birthday Jenn! We love you!

2 comments:

  1. I think it looks great! AND delicious! You are so talented and patient...I could not do anything CLOSE to looking this good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks FABULOUS!!! You can make me a cake ANYTIME!!!

    ReplyDelete